- are passionate about a specific area of interest
- want to explore how their area of interest might become part of their lives post high school
- are excited to take a deep dive in pursuit of their passion
Frequently Asked Questions
Studio is for students entering Grade 11 or 12, who:
Studio is for highly motivated, self-directed students who:
- lose themselves in the work they love
- strive for excellence in their areas of interest
- work diligently to better their skillsets
- enjoy being creative
- long to journey inward, developing and strengthening their core selves
Studio uses Project-Based Learning as an approach to education, where students are encouraged to:
- pursue their passions through a deep inquiry into their crafts
- develop and design “passion projects” that showcase their knowledge and proficiency within their chosen field of study
- exercise an iterative, ‘growth mindset’ approach to learning (which supports trials and errors as necessary steps towards mastery)
- connect with mentors outside of the walls of the school, gathering real life experience from professionals in their field of study
- work towards independence and the development of the professional self
- produce projects that are both innovative and creative, meeting current industry standards
Students can earn up to 3 credits within Studio:
- English Transactional 30S or 40S
- Life Works 40S
- A 3rd Credit in the area of project work
Absolutely! Studio occurs Periods 4 and 5 every afternoon.
Students who take Studio can take up to 3 more courses in the same semester, and are encouraged to plug into whichever extra and co-curricular opportunities float their boats.
Studio students receive specialized instruction in:
In a world that is ever-changing, these skills will help students adapt, succeed, and lead in any number of situations beyond our school’s walls.
Students can produce projects that clearly show, do, or accomplish something in any of the following fields.
Studio provides an open-minded approach to possibilities as they apply to individual students and their passions.
In the spirit of innovation that fuels this program, we love reimagining what is possible. If you have a project idea, and if you want to know if pursuing it in Studio is a good fit, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’d be more than happy to discuss your project dreams!
Figuring out what your actual project will be is a fundamental part of the program!
While there is a strong emphasis on having a passion and some aptitude within your craft before you apply, any dreams you have for your project, including design and end goals, will be developed and directed alongside the others in the program.
Studio students have access to a wide array of cutting edge tech, including:
- M1 iMac’s
- Adobe Creative Suite of applications (Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, After Effects, InDesign, etc.), and Final Cut Pro X
- state-of-the-art cameras, lenses, as well as audio and lighting equipment
- 3D printer
- paint and art supplies
- woodworking shop and
- nutrition room with kitchen appliances
If you need something specific to work with, contact us to discuss the possibilities.